Website is new and under construction - check back regularly for updates!

Urban Sprouts

Philodendron Little Phil

Sturdy | Petit | Rewarding

Little Phil is among my personal favorite of the newer hybrid varieties of Philodendron. They mainatin a petit leaf pattern, grow very dense foliage and look equally good kept small as they do being trained up a pole! The easygoing nature of this plant makes it a great addition for any space with indirect light or for caretakers with busy schedules!

Like most members of the Philodendron family this plant has beautiful glossy leaves, grows quickly, can climb or trail, and is forgiving of both watering and light conditions. Housed in a lower light condition Philodendron will adjust and grow smaller leaves, but will generally carry on as usual. This variety is particularly well suited for low light, as the smaller leaves are very attractive due to the tight growth pattern.

Philodendron are aroid plants, which means in their natural environment would be found growing up a tree! Your Philodendron will be happiest if given something to climb on, we recommend pairing your aroid plants with one of our moss poles! 

 

 

Lighting: Ambient to bright indirect (brighter light will help create larger and deeper colored leaves)

Water: Allow soil to dry ~1-2" between waterings, high humidity is not needed for growth but higher humidity (use a mister, humidifier, or keep under glass) will result in larger leaves and faster growth!

Soil/Potting: Plant in a well draining soil in a container with a drainage hole and made of slightly porous material like ceramic or sealed concrete. Repot annually or when plant exhibits discoloration without the presence of any mis-watering habits

Fertilize: Monthly with bacterial inoculant recommended for steady growth and to promote richer coloration in the foliage

Temperature: Room temp (55-85 degrees is ideal), protect from harsh fluctuations in temperature particularly in the winter

Toxicity: Contain small amounts of calcium oxalate, ingestion may result in slight discomfort in the mouth or stomach. Ingestion of a large volume of plant matter or have a particuar sensitivity may experience gastrointestinal distress (from one end or the other) but is rarely serious. Always consult your vet/Dr. if your pet/child has ingested plant matter and exhibits any symptoms.

 

Got plant questions? Get in touch - we'd be glad to help!